How to Apply
In the Kit:
3a&b Etching Primer Base & Hardener
4 Clear Coat
Simple way to pull labour costs out of your re-application process. Let Propstrip do the hard work for you.
Tools You Need:
- Paper paint suits
- Disposable gloves
- Eye protection
- Dust sanding mask
- Dual action sander
- Wet and dry 80 grit sandpaper
- Plenty of rags
- Disposable plastic trays
- Plastic containers
- Disposable rollers for Etching Primer
- Disposable brushes for Clear Coat
* Metal Preparation
For first time Propspeed applications, the metal surface must be abraded to an 80 grit profile to form a mechanical bond. This can be done using a dual-action sander, or by hand using wet and dry 80 grit sandpaper.
Any remaining old Propspeed coating needs to be removed completely before a fresh Propspeed coating can be applied. Pressure wash the existing coating to remove marine foul from the surface, then allow sufficient time to dry. Propspeed can be removed by sanding using 80-grit sandpaper. A dual action or air driven sander can be used and difficult areas wet sanded by hand.
Alternatively, for quick and easy removal, use Propstrip. You can read in detail about how to remove Propspeed with Propstrip here.
You must wear a dust sanding mask when removing old Propspeed - inhaling any residue could be harmful.
With any surface coating, proper surface preparation is essential.
- High pressure clean previously applied Propspeed
- Ensure surface is thoroughly dry before sanding
- Wet sand difficult areas
1 Initial Clean
- All surfaces must be wiped down with Propclean
- Ensure there is no residue remaining
2 Metal Conditioning
You are now ready to start painting.
- Use Propprep liberally
- All surfaces must be wiped down
- Product flash time
- 3-5 min @ 27°C / 80°F
- Optimal application temperature range
- 16°C / 60°F - 32°C / 90°F
- Curing time
- 8 hours @ 27°C / 80°F
3a&b Etching Primer
Note: Failure to thoroughly mix the Etching Primer Base, as described above, may lead to premature hardening, inconsistencies and short life expectancy of the final coating system.
Once there are no solids left in the can, add the Etching Primer Hardener to the can and mix again. Any product not being used immediately can be re-sealed in the can and left in the shade for up to 6 hours.
- Ambient temperatures influence the application process
- Check weather conditions beforehand
- Consider using a thermometer for exact ambient temperatures
4 Clear Coat
- Do not use a foam roller
- Apply much like conventional varnish
- Touch up runs or sags within 5 to 10 minutes